Re: Trans Temp - Useful Advice now Install?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 23:11:17 EDT

John_Neff@dell.com wrote:

: OK, with all of this talk, and the fact I haven't done any mods in a few
: months, I have the itch to install a trans temp gauge. Does anyone have a
: write up or web page that lists parts needed and how/where to install the
: sensor? I have the factory tranny cooler.

  John,

  I plan to add a trans temp gauge to my '70 Barracuda with a 727, which
evolved into the A518 and then the 46RH/46RE. I've got the parts
already, but I'm waiting until I install the reverse manual valve
body, which has to wait until the engine is done. What I did was to
get a deep sump tranny pan (though this would probably work with the
stocker too), and an adapter from Summit. I think the adapter is $5-7,
basically you drill a hole in the pan, put the adapter in place and
put a nut on the other side. This gives you a threaded 1/8 NPT hole
where you can mount the sensor. I plan to mount the sensor on the
side of the pan. As long as the sensor is in the fluid and is
relatively protected from something hitting it (especially important
on a 4x4) it shouldn't make a lot of difference where its mounted.
(If possible you may want to mount it somewhere near the pickup
just so you know about what the temp is going into the tranny. If
you are more interested in what the temp is coming out of the tranny,
you may need to install it in-line, before the cooler; I'm not sure
if the fluid is "pushed" through the cooler after the tranny or
"pulled" through before the tranny; that will make a difference...)

  You may be able to find the pan adapter on summitracing.com, but if
you'd like me to look up the part number for you just let me know and
I'll take a look when I get home.

  As far as web pages go, well I'll have it up on my web page
eventually, but probably won't be for a while. :-) When I was
doing research into how to mount a tranny temp gauge I scoured
the web and couldn't find much of anything - I was about to try my
hand at brazing an NPT port into the tranny pan. I stumbled across the
Summit adapter by chance and it looks like it will do the trick
very inexpensively. The only catch is that it seems like a lot
of tranny temp gauges have probes larger than 1/8 NPT. I'm using
a Nordskog digital gauge (matches the rest of my cuda's guages)
which has a 1/8 NPT sensor.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'