Re: Tire Size Suggestions

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 07:48:35 EDT

At 08:57 PM 7/9/02 -0500, Jack Snodgrass wrote:
>I've got some AR-767 15x8 wheels. Anyone have any tire
>size recomendations. Someone suggested a 225/60R15.
>I'm looking for street performance. Thanks - jack

Jack

I'm not sure if you have a Gen II or a Gen III. If a Gen II, there
might be a backspacing factor on the fronts. Probably not a
factor for the rear.

Dave Waco, are you out there? Dave has run the 767s
on all 4s in his 94 Dak.

For a Gen III:

According to Dodge, on the Gen III, the maximum size
tire you could run without clearance problems on their stock
15x8 rims is 235/70 x 15 (looks like any thing wider
and there might be a clearance problem with the tire bulge
and the control arm (?). I don't know what the backspacing
of the stock 15x8 rim is. Hopefully, I can find out by next
Monday night as a friend is picking up a pair for me at ACN
for track use.

Currently, I'm using the AR-767 15x8 on the rears at the track.
It has a backspacing of 5 - 5 1/16" and I have run 275/60 x 15
drag radials with at least 1" - 2" clearance to the frame so you
could go wider in the rear.

If you're looking for street performance (off the line gain improvement?),
you may not want to use this size on the rear as it's taller than stock.

Now that I've thoroughly confused the issue, HTH :-)

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG