Theft-resistant door handles?

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 22:15:17 EDT

Has anyone ever seen any beefy door handles designed to prevent
screwdriver attack? Like, with an extended coverage of 1/4" steel plate
inside the door or anything? Or should I just spot-weld on some diamond
plating?

For the second time now somebody has tried to break in to my Dak by
shoving a screwdriver under the door handle, between the plastic and
sheet metal. I'm guessing that they're trying to lift up the lock
mechanism, because both times have been in the exact same spot.

I think I caught the b*stard in the act this time, although I can't be
sure. It was in the Honeywell parking lot right after work. Either he
was telling the truth and the screwdriver hole was just coincidence
because he was just bent over trying to see if his door caused any damage
to my paint (like I care about the paint on my off-road truck), or that
flash of metal I saw was a screwdriver and not chrome door trim.
Unfortunately, I didn't get a good enough look to justify pounding the
living snot out of the guy, but I did get his plate and description and
reported him to security. They said the plate didn't match anyone
authorized to park there, so he's on their list now. It'll be
interesting to see if anything comes out of it. Doubt it, but I can
hope.

Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario