Re: DML BBQ: Oh the humanity!

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 21:55:06 EDT

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 02:11:47 -0400, jon wrote:

> Hmmmm, I DO usually take a week off to go to Oshkosh which I
> won't be doing this year so I guess technically I may be able to take a
> week off somewhere... :-)

You're not going to Oshkosh this year? Bummer. Come to think of it,
Carlisle is coming up... haven't heard you say anything about that
either. What, did you cancel all your trips to work on the 'Cuda or
something?

> Hmmmm.... I just did some searching - it looks as if the Atlas
> might bolt right in place of the 231! There appears to be different
> versions meant to replace several different transfer cases. Might be
> easier than I thought! :-)

I'm guessing it would be a direct bolt in. The Daks use the same 231
case with both the AX-15 and the NV-3500. The Jeeps use that same 231
with the AX-15 tranny, and Advance Adapters set it up to be a bolt-in for
a Jeep (other than the driveshaft issue). Advance also does a lot of
NV-4500 tranny swaps for Jeeps. They do have a lot of experience with
very closely related stuff.

> You might want to contact Advanced Adapters - they have a contact
> form on their web site at http://www.advanceadapters.com/ where you can
> specify what you want to do and they will get back to you...

That's what I'd do. They have a good reputation for being knowledgable
about how to make weird things work very well. I'm sure that if they
don't know offhand how to put an Atlas in a Dak, they could find out
pretty quickly. Then you'd know exactly what you're getting in to,
rather than just conjecture from a couple of people who wish they could
do the same swap :-).

> Here I go again trying to spend other people's money! Jason Bleazard
> can vouch for that! ;-)

Wasn't this one my idea initially? Actually, I think we can trace your
Ram back to my bright ideas :-). Jon has lots of good ideas for what to
do with my money, if I had any. Fortunately, I don't, otherwise I'd have
done a solid axle swap, put a diesel engine in there, an Atlas T-case,
winches, bumpers, and so on.

Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario