Re: teach the dealer!

From: Got-Speed \(Marty\) (Got-Speed@cox.net)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 18:12:47 EDT

Was that for the upper or lower control arms ??
If its for the uppers then you could more than likely do it yourself (I
did). Just jack up the front of your truck to the point where the tires will
almost free spin (they still need to be touching the ground) That will take
the pressure off the upper control arm, but still leave presure on the lower
(keeping your spring from popping out etc) At this point you just remove the
nut from the upper balljoint and the 2 nuts that hold the upper control arm
to the frame. It couldn't be simpler. I had to use a drill to remove the old
rubber ones, but I read in one of last months truckin magizines you can burn
them out (which would be ALOT easier). I think this would only take 1 1/2
hours to do both sides. Anyway you slice it though, you will need an
alignment done afterwards. For reference I paid $55 US for my energy
suspension kit which included bushings for the upper and the lower control
arms. The lowers are semi-easy, just put a hydrolic jack under the lower
control arms and remove the 2 bolts that hold the arm to the frame. Then let
the jack down an inch or so, so that you can take the old rubber ones out. I
didn't change my stock lower ones due to my suspension kit (got all new
arms) but should be about the same as the uppers.
Really its not so bad of a job that it requires someone else to do it, but a
second set of hands always helps.

Marty
http://members.cox.net/got-speed