Re: RE: Well, I escaped the worst

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 21:51:00 EDT

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:13:27 -0400, Neil W. Bellenger wrote:

> Dodge's design of the airbox and induction is very successful in keeping
> water from getting to the filter.

I'll second that as it applies to the air box on the gen III. (The gen II
is another story...) Before we first took our '98 out on its maiden mud
voyage, I checked that thing out for water safety and was pretty
impressed. If water gets in to it, it'll have to fill up that whole box
since the air exits it at the top. I started thinking that I needed to
drill a hole in the bottom to let water drain out. When I checked, I
discovered that the engineers already thought of it.

> This would be a good reason for anyone who converts the induction to
> keep the original parts for events like ours in the mud pit.

Sound advice, thanks Neil.

Alternatively, K&N makes a "pre-filter" that you can use to wrap around
your filter to keep the worst gunk off of it. I've got one for my '95 and
it seems to protect it from splashes, although it certainly won't protect
against being submerged. I think I might have some of that stuff left
(comes in a big sheet, you cut it to fit), if anyone is interested in
checking it out.

Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario