Gas gauge did something funky today....

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 23:42:37 EDT

Got in the truck to go out for breakfast this morning and the dash chime
rang twice. Didn't see anything weird, but I shut down anyway. Started
back up and everything was OK.

Got on the road and I noticed that with 120 miles on this tank of gas, I
had only half a tank indicated left. 2/3 of that was highway miles - no
way is my mileage THAT bad! Over time, however, the needle kept coming
"up" and finally got to where it should have been (1/3 tank burned).

Any ideas on why I'd get a wildly wrong reading on the gas gauge?
Something else get dirty last weekend just now it manifests itself?

--
-andy
andylevy@yahoo.com