RE: Mopar engine builder claims stock Magnum engine rocker arms are 1.74 ratio instead of 1.6

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 14:31:02 EDT

>With Dodge...ya never know if you got the correct parts out of the bin
>at the assembly plant.

No arguments there. I'm sure the tolerance margin on a part like this is
probably pretty high.

>However, going by this quote from that post: "Makes you want to run out
>and spend $400.00 on some heavily marketed roller rockers, NOT."...it's
>obvious that the person doesn't seem to understand the difference
>between stamped steel (non-adjustable) and roller fulcrum/tip
>(adjustable) rockers.

I don't know the guy so I have no idea what his knowledge level is. I think
I'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows the difference
between adjustable and non-adjustable rockers. His point was that the stock
rockers were not what DC claims they are.

>Remember, the Viper rockers are 1.7:1 and look almost identical to the
>1.6:1 rockers in the Magnums...and yes, swapping to 1.7:1 rockers DOES
>make a difference, to the tune of 18-20RWHP.

Hey, again, no arguments from me. I personally have not heard of anyone who
has not had a noticeable gain in power from 1.7's, though the guy claims he
has. I just thought the guys statements were interesting and wondered if
anyone had actually measured the stock rockers vs. some of the aftermarket
sets.

John