Re: recalibrate the speedometer

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 20:52:17 EDT

At 03:39 PM 7/15/02 -0500, you wrote:

>jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
>>It depends on the truck - newer Daks need to be adjusted
>>within the computer, so you need to take it to the dealer.
>>Older models have a plastic gear that you can change out
>>yourself, once you determine the proper gear to use. I'm
>>not sure what the breakdown is as far as what year they
>>went electronic though - someone else may know.
>>(I believe all GenIIs are of the "gear" variety though.)
>
>Do you have any more info on that Jon? (what gears to use
>for what tire/axle combo, where to get em) --snip-- (Silver89)

Go to a dealer's parts dept. They'll see what's listed for
your 89. You'll need to tell them model year, what gear ratio
and tire size you have. Dodge will only have gears for the
gear ratio and tire size that they put out during that model
year so, if the parts man is on the ball, he tell you the
closest one (number of teeth) they have. Sometimes,
if you know Dodge put a different tire size on in another
year but everything else is the same, the parts man can
look up that year. For example, in the early 97 models,
Dodge did not put out a 235/75 tire (so no pinion speed
gear) but they did put out a 235/75 in 98 (pinion speed
gear listed under 98 listing although 98s went to computer
programming). Also, I run about 26" on the rears at the
track (nothing there) so I put in Dodge's closest fit gear.
HTH

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 CC Dakota, 5.2L, 4x2, 44RE, 3.92SG, 4,075 lb (truck, driver, 3/8 tank)
RW: 231.2 hp 340.0 torque PB: 14.313 95.05 mph