Re: Update on my Dak.....

From: Granpa Silver89 (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 00:58:30 EDT

Good goin, I'm glad your truck is still alive!! I was worried there for
a while!

I know for sure now that I did take damage in the pit, when I took in
water. I changed my oil today, wow was it burnt. Remember when I
smelled it at the stop outside Buffalo? Well it was REALLY smellin
burnt today.

Anyway - the engine has a sound coming from the belly pan. (pretty close
to that ticking from your engine (before it stopped running hehehe) My
guess is the water/mud might have added a leeetle bit of wear on the
engine internals. No big deal. That ain't gonna stop me from driving it!

I have long term modification plans for that truck. I'm going to keep
pushing with it in the winter - I frankly don't care if the suspension
and engine fall apart. Only thing is that it has to last me one more
year! THEN it can break down!

As for Jon's infamous mud - I removed my front diff. skid plate today
too. As I am sure this will be no suprise to any DML BBQ vets... but
the skid plate was completely filled with mud (read concrete). The self
serve car wash still has chunks of mud in the bay where I pressure
washed the truck. And my carport has chunks of mud all over it. lol

I banged up a front cover plate that bridges a gap between the frame and
the radiator support. Nothing that can't be fixed with a large hammer.

Taking into account how many of the rigs at the BBQ were sent home
bruised and bloody - it seems that most of us got lucky with repairs --
not as bad as we had feared. (auctual damage and cost to repair) Even
Dakota's blown T-case won't cost full price to replace. Tweety Jeep is
getting the trans replaced for a good deal... looks like the Jeep with
the snapped axle - and Jason Yates Dak, were the worst off. I know I'm
counting my blessings.