Re: RE: Re: bigger gas tank

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 09:27:38 EDT

<jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote in message
news:ah7oen$l6m$1@bent.twistedbits.net...

> If you don't mind giving up some bed space, farm and fleet
> type stores sell a gas tank that goes at the front of a pickup
> bed. Now, its actually for transporting gas and fueling
> equipment, you're not supposed to tie it in to your gas tank,
> but I'm sure it has been done. I suppose you could just
> leave it disconnected and use it to fuel your truck with a
> standard nozzle - just top off your tank every few days in
> the driveway in the morning. :-)

Ok
I have to throw in my $.02 worth here. My Dad has a 95 Ram 3500 Club Cab
Dualie, V10 that he drives daily and uses to pull his 5th wheel travel
trailer. He traded in a Ferd F350 Crew Cab dualie when he bought it. He
wanted to keep his extended range, cross bed 55 gallon fuel tank that he
had in the Ford but it was the wrong application for the Dodge and since he
already had the tank, he didn't want to have to buy a new one. What he
ended up doing, was buying an electric fuel pump and having it installed on
the tank, wired to a switch on the dash and plumbed into the main fuel
tank. Now, when the gauge shows between half and a quarter tank, he hits
the switch and drives off, watching the fuel gauge climb back toward full.
When he gets it almost full, he shuts off the pump and keeps on trucking.
If the gauge doesn't move, he knows the big tank is empty and starts
looking for a gas station. Down side of it is, when he does need gas, it
costs him about $125 or more for a complete refuel.

Ray
Dover, DE