Re: Join forces with the MML? (Carlisle)

From: Granpa Silver89 (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jul 21 2002 - 23:07:37 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> I had jokingly posted that maybe we need to join forces.
> Some people thought that might not be such a bad idea, and started
posting
> along the same lines.

Hmm - would this mean a single group?

E.I: DMML (Dakota & Mopar Mailing List)?? No more separate lists?

Honestly I like the DML being just the DML - but perhaps that's just me
- I simple like the way "dee-emm-el" sounds heheh

> I have not actually discussed anything formally with the MML, and
> this is all just wild speculation at this point, but I thought I
> would post something here to see what everyone thought about that
> possibility. (i.e. forming a joint club with the MML, and possibly
> other mailing lists at Carlisle)

Well I see no real reason why we couldn't help eachother out - being
that we are all Mopars at the core.

> Beyond guaranteeing that we will have enough people for the tent,
> and getting a cut of the club money, there are some other possible
> benefits, depending mostly on how involved the DMLers want to get...
> The MML always has a BBQ on Saturday night - DMLers who register a
> vehicle in the joint club would probably get free eats.

mmmm free food

   If that were
> the case, it would be nice if some DMLers were to help out with the
> BBQ prep. There are also other possibilities like maybe booking at the
> same motel - maybe with a larger group we could book a block of rooms
> at a discount. The MML also has a security patrol at their motel, where
> people sign up for a shift and basically walk through the parking lot
> in pairs with a cell phone, to make sure there isn't any theft or
> vandalism happening to the cars. (If we were to book at the same
> motel, it would be nice if some DMLers were to volunteer for this as
> well.)

No problem - I can BBQ with the best of them - and I would be proud to
take on a security detail and watch over the trucks.

> One drawback is that I am guessing the tent will probably not be
> right next to the Daks like it has been, but I don't know for sure.

Well that is just not acceptable! :-) who do we have to bribe to get
the tents together?

> One of the main things I am wondering about with this whole venture
> is how the DMLers would mix with the MMLers. I don't mean that we
> wouldn't get along, but there seems to be a different attitude between
> the two groups. The MML is very organized; they make up name tags,
> have the BBQ, security patrols, etc. Most DMLers didn't even seem
> to hang out near the tent! ;-) (Yes, there were several who did,
> but in general, the DMLers seem to be more independent rather than
> banding together like the MML.) That's partly why I'm asking
> here - to see if there is even any interest in doing something like
> this, and if so, to what level would you want to get involved? Just
> registering in the same club to boost the numbers, or would you
> be interested in doing some of the other things too (BBQ, security
> patrol, etc.)?
>
> Any opinions, comments, suggestions, etc. would be welcome!
>
> Thanks!

I understand the socializing thing. I also don't mean that there
are/would be an "getting along well problems"... but instead, similar to
what happens at the BBQ. The jeeps stay with the jeeps and the daks stay
with the daks - not much cross-interaction. However I think if the
tents are side by side - that might seem to solve the issue?

Maybe at the beginning of every meet, we should do a "Hi, my name is
so-and-so, and I'm an alcoholic!" - - oh wait, brain fart - - wrong
association... but you get my meaning heheheh. :D We could all
introduce ourselves and our rigs/cars/etc. And any new arrivals in
subsequent years could introduce themselves at that point.

  I would also have to agree that the DML is on the average, a less
organized more laid back bunch. From only this past BBQ that is very
obvious LOL. Perhaps we could do a bit of both though. We could
participate in a few group activities and then just mill around at our
leisure. I have been wanting to get to Carlisle for a while now. As
long as I can drive my truck and the truck will let me drive it - I'll
try my hardest to make it.

As you should already know Jon, driving cross country, all day, in any
kind of heat, with no AC, is nothing for me :-)

With any luck I'll have the 4x4 all show ready by next BBQ and for Carlisle.

--

"Hey Ray! Granpa done gone'n hit another light pole!"

Granpa - (Silver89)

1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow