Re: 42RE tranny trouble?

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@directvinternet.com)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 23:48:23 EDT

For one thing I wouldn't pay anyone $150 bocks to service a tranny. The
local dealer only wants $50 bucks to do it and I know they are usually
higher but at least most of the time you know they will put the correct
fluid in (very important on dodge trucks) and they will go ahead and adjust
what needs adjusting which most mechanics and lube places that sevice the
tranny won't do. If you have a local dealer have them change the fluid. How
long has it been since the fluid may have been changed. If you don't know,
the truck has more than 50k on it, and the fluid is not even remotely red
but a grayish color you need to check with a really good transmission person
before even thinking about changing the fluid. Used to have a guy who was
really honest and owned a shop do this for me and he told me if that is the
case he will not change the fluid. What happens is that the new fluids
detergents go and clean out all the varnish that built up form the old fluid
and the tranny all of teh sudden has alot of problems. If you leave it alone
you can go for a long time and just have it rebuilt. Never been there but
that's what I was told and have witnessed to seem to work. Sounds like an
adjustment but it also depends on the sound. The tranny is weird, some
noises could be serious while others end up not being much and they both
sound alike. I never liked messing with the tranny on cars due to this. Too
much for my luck to come into play and totally screw up.

Jeff Durling
'01 4x2 QC SLT+ 4.7