Re: RE: 42RE tranny trouble?

From: Jon (jonsdak@midmaine.com)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 11:32:20 EDT

Ron,
Fairly certain. The dealer paid for his mechanic (same one my dad has) to
change it, but I had the truck for two days before he could "squeeze it in."
It sounded a _lot_ worse then, than it does now.
I think the reason my dad still does business with the guy is he used to
work with him.. trust me, if it was just me, I wouldn't give it a second
thought, I'd do it all myself. I hate having others work on my truck.

--
Later,
Jon
""Ronald Wong"" <ron-wong@cox.net> wrote in message

> I may not have all the answers you're looking for but hope it helps.
>
> Based on your comments about your mechanic, I don't understand why you or
> your Dad is still doing business with him.  That being said, let's explore
> the mechanical side of it.
>
> 1) On the TC how certain are you that it was replaced.  You did it or did
> the seller tell you he did it?  Anyway it doesn't sound like a TC issue,
> although...see #2.
>
> 2) Since you do a lot of hill climbing you should do something about some
or
> all of the following:
>
> a) change fluid and filter regularly or get it flushed regularly
preferably
> the latter.
> b) adjust the bands and check the clutch.
> c) use synthetic fluid because it runs cooler and it's more slippery; make
> sure you use ATF 3 type 7176 compatible fluid.
> d) use a transmission cooler.
> e) install a transmission temperature gauge.
> f) ideal situation is to customize your torque converter and valve body.
>

> Ron
> 00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD

5.5k