Re: Blown belly pan?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 11:54:24 EDT

At 11:01 AM 7/26/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Well, having some oil pressure and power loss issues,
>I am trying to figure out if I have the dreaded blown BP.
>
>OK I don't really have oil puddling, but on the underside
>of the butterflies is a good bit of oil and there is a thin
>coating of oil on the bottom when you look through the
>TB holes. Is this a blown/blowing BP gasket?
>Would that be affecting my power? Thanks, Ryan

Check/clean the oil pressure sensor connections.
They have a tendency to loosen up a bit, corrode or get
dirty.

It doesn't sound like a blown BP gasket from your
description. The crude under the butterflies is most
likely from the vapour from the PCV hose.

At some point, a blown BP gasket will cause pinging
under some degree of load.

If you've got a bud/etc., have him/her start up the motor
after it's been sitting overnight while you watch the
exhaust pipe(s). If you see faint blue exhaust smoke
(may not be very much), then it's probably the BP gasket.

You also do the vacuum test for a blown PB gasket.
Remove the PCV valve hose from the intake, plug
the end of the hose temporarily with something (balloon,
saran wrap, etc.) and reconnect the hose. Remove
the breather from other side valve cover. Have someone
start the engine while you have the breather hole covered
with a piece of paper or palm of hand. Wait about 45 sec.
or so. If your hand or piece of paper is sucked to the hole,
then BP gasket is okay. If none, then there's a vacuum
leak at the gasket.

If nothing turns up, do a compression test.

Hope this helps.
Bob