Re: Laptop Scanner Question

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 14:21:41 EDT

"Wisotzkey, Rich" <Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-ns.com> wrote:

: I know there are a couple of you out there using OBD-II scanner software on
: a laptop. How do you like it? How comprehensive is it? I've been looking
: at scanners, and just remembered I have an old 486 laptop sitting around
: that would probably be perfect for this. I'd like to be able to use it on
: all my vehicles, not just the Dakota. Any advice would be appreciated.

  I have the OBD-II scanner from Ease - I think its easesim.com.
It has worked well so far, but there are 3 different protocols
I think they are ISO, PWM, VPW - I dunno something like that.
You can read all three if you buy the capability to do so - the
scanner just came with my choice of one. Anyway, different
manufacturers use different protocols - Chrysler uses the ISO,
so I can scann all chrysler vehicles, and a good number of other
ones, but it won't work on fords, or any other manufacturer that
doesn't use the ISO protocol. (Unless you pony up the bucks to
buy the other two protocols.) It seemed like the best bang for
the buck a few years ago when I bought it, but I haven't really
kept up with the market, I am sure there are a lot more on the
market now.

  This probably didn't help you much. :-) Anyway, the one I got
is from easesim.com, and though the interface does take some
getting used to it works well.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'