RE: cryogenics

From: Ray (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 14:28:53 EDT

Good advice Jeff, but even that's no guarantee. At many shops they don't
tighten in the correct pattern, they run the nuts down with an impact wrench
and when they use a torque wrench after the impact wrench the nuts never
move any more, you just hear the click of the torque wrench. Who knows what
torque it's set at but it seems it's always less than what the impact wrench
had. I immediately loosen and retorque properly as soon as I get home and
have never had warped rotors.

'92 Dak - 27,000 mi., 1500 stops from 100 mph at the track.
'00 Grand Cherokee - 25,000 mi. - 100 or so stops from 85 mph at the track
'97 Stratus - 53,000 mi. - 400 stops from 78 mph at the track
'86 Chrysler Laser XT - 143,000 mi. (original rotors to 98,000 mi) -
5-speed, never raced (at the track) :)
I could go on........

IMO, if you always tighten them properly yourself and can be sure no lube
jobs ever got grease on the rotors and they still warp, THEN you know the
rotors are at fault.

Ray