Gen I steering problem

From: awheeler (awheeler@vt.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 16:37:51 EDT

I have a problem in the steering of my Gen I dakota (1990 4X4). I realize
that nobody talks about Gen I daks on here anymore but I searched the archives
and couldn't find anything there. Any help anyone could offer would be
appreciated. My truck has started steering itself a bit when I'm coasting.
It never seems to do this under acceleration. But when I am coasting, it will
randomly start pulling to one side or the other. Also, it is really sensitive
to gusts of wind or unevenness in the road, makes it pull harder. I replaced
the Pitman arm and tie rod ends about a year ago and had it aligned. I have
been told that my problem may be the front wheel bearings or the steering gear
box. I have two questions 1) how do I test the wheel bearings and the
steering gearbox to tell which is bad and 2) I have heard that some steering
gear boxes are adjustable, is there an adjustment screw on it somewhere? The
haynes manual didn't mention it. Thanks in advance for any input