Re: Gen I steering problem

From: Granpa Silver89 (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 18:45:10 EDT

awheeler wrote:
> I have a problem in the steering of my Gen I dakota (1990 4X4). I realize
> that nobody talks about Gen I daks on here anymore but I searched the archives
> and couldn't find anything there.

Bring up the Gen I Daks any time you can - I do! - You need Gen I help -
or anyone else out there needs Gen I help - feel free to send me an
email any time. Myself and my Gen I FSM will be glad to help.

  Any help anyone could offer would be
> appreciated. My truck has started steering itself a bit when I'm coasting.
> It never seems to do this under acceleration. But when I am coasting, it will
> randomly start pulling to one side or the other. Also, it is really sensitive
> to gusts of wind or unevenness in the road, makes it pull harder. I replaced
> the Pitman arm and tie rod ends about a year ago and had it aligned. I have
> been told that my problem may be the front wheel bearings or the steering gear
> box. I have two questions 1) how do I test the wheel bearings and the
> steering gearbox to tell which is bad and 2) I have heard that some steering
> gear boxes are adjustable, is there an adjustment screw on it somewhere? The
> haynes manual didn't mention it. Thanks in advance for any input

Unfortunatly I cannot recall any info at the moment from memory. I too
have been having pain-in-the-butt front end problems on my 4x4. Let me
check my FSM and I'll get back to you shortly. Right now I have three
broken window glass panes to replace. (grumble grumble)

--

"Hey Ray! Granpa done gone'n hit another light pole!"

Granpa - (Silver89)

1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow