Newbie with a big tranny question

From: Kevin Watts (crawlinjp@nc.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 18:07:48 EDT

Been lurking for awhile but now I need help. Got a 96 4x4 318 4.10's 30"
tires(I do some towing with it) Have tranny cooler and temp guage. The
tranny never gets above 180. In the summer w/ the air on, and the overdrive
switched off, and after sitting at a long stoplight, the tranny will slip
like a big dog. It feels more like the converter slipping than anything.
It shifts fine when it gets to the right speed but it's not locking up, and
when it gets going fast enough for the converter to lock up it's fine. It's
only done it a couple times before and it stopped after about a quarter
mile. Today I was towing an empty trailer (about 1500 lbs) and it wouldn't
quit slipping. I got about a mile and I stopped and took my trailer off,
and tried it again. Air still on and turned the overdrive back on. It
still slipped. I then turned the air off, and it quit slipping after about
a quarter mile. (Tranny temp was just under 220 at this point) Then drove
it home about 15 miles (a/c off) and it shifted and drove fine. (Although
at speed I think it now has a little vibe, just not quite right if you know
what I mean)

So anyone have any idea's? I know the tranny's probably gonna have to come
out, but I'd like to get the problem fixed correctly when it's out. Any
parts/tricks to beef it up during a rebuild?

Thanks,
Kevin