Re: Dakota a half ton (was: Gooseneck Hitch)

From: Tubamirbls@aol.com
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 23:50:43 EDT

According to data supplied me by my dealer when I bought my Dakota the
current generation has the following payload capacities:
Regular cab, 4x2 std: 1,275 (or 275 pounds more than 1/2 ton!) Opt: 2,100
or one full ton plus 100#. This of course is a factory option.
Regular Cab, 4X4 std: 1,450 pounds, optional 1,950 pounds making this model
a few pounds shy in std form of being a "3/4" ton and in optional form a "one
ton" truck regardless of what adjective the mktg dept @ Chrysler dreams up
for "classification."

Club cab 4x2 std: 1,275, optional either 1,450 or 2,000
Club cab 4X4 std: 1,450, optional 1,750

Quad cab models whether 4x2 or 4x4 are not available with any additional
suspension components to increased GVW payload. Std for both is 1,450

R/T model 4x2 comes only with std capacity of just 1,250

Optional increased GVW generally when ordering your truck requires certain
combinations of engine, transmission, wheel & tire size and rear axle ratio
so in effect it is rather like an option pkg. In other words, everything has
to be present before the greater weight capacity will apply, not just another
leaf in the rear springs. In previous years the diameter of the rear drum
brakes was increased as well as the size of the differential. In the present
generation those additions are not included.

With increased factory GVW comes the ability of course to handle a larger
trailer. The statistics show a regular cab w/4.7 engine and either 5sp or
auto trans and 3.55 axle can handle a trailer and its load total 10,500lbs
assuming of course a suitable hitch for such

Paul Sahlin