Re: RE: 1996 Dakota Sport CC 4x4 curb weight?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 11:22:25 EDT

raymond.irons@gm.com wrote:

: Chad wrote:
: >anybody now what a gallon of gas

: I'm assuming you want to "know" what a gallon of gas weighs, LOL. When I
: was a jet mechanic a few years ago, and we had to refuel airplanes, we
: always had to convert the gallons to pounds. This was because the aircraft
: fuel tanks are calibrated to know how many pounds of fuel are on board for
: take-offs and landings, and the delivery people (either tank truck or pit
: cart) listed delivered fuel in gallons pumped. We had to do this to ensure
: what the aircraft gauges were showing was at least somewhat accurate and to
: ensure that what we pumped on board was the actual amount of fuel
: delivered. To do the conversion, multiply the gallons by 6.5 and you'll
: come up with the approximate weight of the fuel, in pounds. Now before some
: of my engineering type brethren on here go off on me for going on this
: tangent, let me state this: the multiplication factor will vary depending
: on the specific gravity of the fuel, but 6.5 is close enough to give you a
: pretty good idea.

   Unless I am mistaken (and I often am) ;-) jet fuel is similar to
diesel, which has a higher specific gravity than avgas or standard pump
gas. (I have heard diesel is about 8lbs/gal, so I guess it can't be
*too* similar if you used 6.5. (Were you working with Jet A?) Doing
a weight and balance is fairly important when loading a plane, and when
I took ground school, they had us use 6 lbs/gallon. I'm sure its not
exactly 6 lbs per gallon, but that's probably close enough for a weight
and balance on a single engine plane.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'