Re: RE: 1996 Dakota Sport CC 4x4 curb weight?

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 06:08:36 EDT

Chad wrote:
>anybody now what a gallon of gas

I'm assuming you want to "know" what a gallon of gas weighs, LOL. When I
was a jet mechanic a few years ago, and we had to refuel airplanes, we
always had to convert the gallons to pounds. This was because the aircraft
fuel tanks are calibrated to know how many pounds of fuel are on board for
take-offs and landings, and the delivery people (either tank truck or pit
cart) listed delivered fuel in gallons pumped. We had to do this to ensure
what the aircraft gauges were showing was at least somewhat accurate and to
ensure that what we pumped on board was the actual amount of fuel
delivered. To do the conversion, multiply the gallons by 6.5 and you'll
come up with the approximate weight of the fuel, in pounds. Now before some
of my engineering type brethren on here go off on me for going on this
tangent, let me state this: the multiplication factor will vary depending
on the specific gravity of the fuel, but 6.5 is close enough to give you a
pretty good idea.

Ray Irons
Dover, DE