What would cause over voltage?

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 08:32:39 EDT

I got a "Check gauges" chime and light last night on the 2001, and noticed
that the volt meter was pegged to the top. I pulled over, took a look
around, checked the battery connections and didn't find anything obvious.
 I also disconnected the battery for a minute just to reset everything.
It hasn't happened again, so of course the dealership won't do anything
until they can re-create the problem. I'm just wondering what could cause
that, and if there's anything I should look for before it becomes a bigger
problem.

Some more info that might be relevant...

A couple of minutes before this happened, I noticed that the stereo was
insisting on lowering its volume at random. I'd turn it back up, it would
turn itself back down. I figured the switch on the steering wheel
controls was going nutty, so I turned off the stereo and made a mental
note to have the switch replaced. The stereo has been fine since after I
reset everything. Does it have a protection feature if it gets too much
voltage? I unfortunately didn't notice what the gauge was doing then.

We also have a quick disconnect on the battery (you know, the green knob
things). That didn't seem to be very tight when I checked it. If it were
coming loose, I would have expected everything to shut down, not peg at
high voltage. Or am I totally missing how things work?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario