Re: More "no show" BBS Messages

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 15:41:22 EDT

Granpa Silver89 <SilverEightynine@earthlink.net> wrote:

: Ok this is getting weird. I check the DML BBS, I don't use the mail
: list or digest set up. Well on the message board I saw two messages in
: reply to the "My baby's sick - need to vent" thread. Once again there
: was no irst part to the message. I did a search and found about 10 total
: posts including the original from Brian Mingle.

: I'm using Mozilla - so I can't really blame it on the software I am using.

: (LOVE Mozilla - never had a problem with it - death to IE!)

: Jon - any idea why there would be missing messages on the message board?
: The messages show up on a search. Anyone else still having this
: problem? I remember there were a couple of people.

   Tom,

  Sounds like you're using the newsgroup version of the list, which
is what I use. I noticed that there were two replies to that post
"by themselves", but the rest were under the original message. I
checked it out, and what happened was that the original message was
actually posted mid-way through the "check out my new website" thread
by Chad Evans.

  My guess is that you marked that thread read, and that also caused
the original "need to vent" post along with about 5 replies to
dissapear.

  I have noticed posts being put under the "wrong" threads before.
I'm not 100% sure what is happening, but I suspect that when some folks
create a new post, they reply to an existing message and chang the subject
instead of actually sending out a fresh, new post. This will cause it to
reference whatever post they have replied to and it will get stuck in
that thread, instead of creating a new one.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'