Re: Toronto Motorsports Park

From: Dave (ded74@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 08:59:11 EDT

Getting in some practice before the Nats, huh? It's scary when you see some
of those guys go out of control. When I was at Cecil there was a guy who
lost it after the traps, I think he was doing like 120, did a few 360s and
actually got it back under control without hitting anything. Congrats on
the time, but I would think that 113mph would net you a better time? Is the
traction that bad?

--
Dave
Bensalem, PA

"Bob Tom" <tigers@bserv.com> wrote in message news:5.0.2.1.0.20020804213302.00a0ca80@bserv.com... > > Dragsters > > I made my first trip to Toronto Motorsports Park (formerly > Cayuga International Dragway Park) today. They have and > still are undergoing major renovations to bring the track > up to IHRA standards. A major national (or shouldI say > international) IHRA racing event will be held there next > weekend. It will be televised on ESPN 2 in the States > and TSN up here but I don't have the tv date. > > The track itself is a thing of beauty! A newly laid and > relocated cement launch pad with cement track extending > to the 1/8-mile mark and freshly laid and levelled asphalt > the rest of the way. The shut down area must be almost > 1/4-mile in length too :-) Unfortunately, the track just > re-opened July 5th and the cement portion of the track > is still "virgin" (read slick). > > One of the big boys got loose today and went head-on > into the cement retaining wall at about 100 mph. Fortunately, > proper safety equipment for both driver and car prevented > injuries :-) A couple of others went into the wall as well but > the Dakota ran straight and true all day :-) > > A jet dragster made 3 exhibition runs with the first run > an announced 415 mph (world record)! Of course, in one > of my runs, my slip showed a 14.784 @ 113.56 :-) The SC > car in the other lane ran a 12.336 @ 109.64. He blew > something (blue smoke from exhaust pipes) and I had > a good view from the 1000' mark on right up to the > timeslip booth at the end of the track. That'll teach the > young pup to try and embarrass a 4,080 lb Dakota > with a soon-to-be 64 year old driver :-) > > I was told that, on my first run, a few of the construction > workers who were working on the new tower stopped > and looked out and gave a big cheer when I got a 14.8x. > One of the workers has a beauty of a red Dakota all decked > out with colour-keyed grille guard, running boards, side rails > and roll bar. > > Great way to spend a 99F day. As Danny Glover says > in Lethal Weapons, I'm getting too old for this $hit :-) > > Bob >