Re: classic Chrysler question

From: Tubamirbls@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 21:09:35 EDT

I recall quite well when the 64 Newport was a new car and would venture to
say that very few would ever have been dealer ordered with a manual trans.
If so it would obviously been a price leader to get people on the lot so they
could bait and switch. It could of course been a factory order for a
customer who wanted what he got.

I could look it up but I think by 64 the basic Chrysler engine would have
been a 383 which of course is just a 361 slightly bored (or stroked, can't
recall which). In that period one block provided the 273-318-340-360 and the
other the 361-383-413. I believe 426 hemi's while sharing some big block
parts were still pretty much unique unto themselves.

Paul Sahlin