Re: Poor Mileage

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@directvinternet.com)
Date: Sat Aug 10 2002 - 13:28:54 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <Tubamirbls@aol.com>
To: <dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net>
Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2002 11:10 AM
Subject: Re: DML: Poor Mileage

> Hi Jeff
> These several engine computer "updates" you say your dealer has done
> after the first of which you discovered your gas consumption had risen
> noticably, do you know what was the reason for these updates? Had you
> complained of driveability problems to your dealer hence he did the
computer
> change(s)?

THis is the beauty of it. I never told them of any problem at all. They just
did it and acted so proud of themselves for doing it. I was really mad and I
let the service writer, service manager, and gm know it. When I got home I
called Chrysler Customer Care and that was a joke also. THey told me that
it's the dealers dicression to do teh updates that they recieve outside of
doing them for a realated problem. I said I could understand that if I had
requested it but I never did I was just there for a piece of trim of the
dash that was not fitting right. I was proceeded to be blown off. I've
called them for several things including the front end bra that scratched my
paint. I was told then that happens alot. I tlod him there own parts
description says it's supposed to protect the front end not scratch it. I
was told then that he needed to get the wording changed. Amazing since no
other bra I have ever owned did anything to the front of the car unlees you
left it there forever.

My truck was pinging excessively. I complained to the dealer who
> scoped the engine and found all systems to be working up to par. A
factory
> service bulletin allowed for a warranty-paid computer update which has
> greatly reduced the ping.

I would love to completely get rid of the ping but the several updates since
haven't helped. My full beleif is that diuring the original flash something
went wrong and they may have partially burned out a circuit. I cannot prove
it but it's a thought.

It only does so now under really steep grades and
> pulling very hard and this on 87 octane regular. I assume what my update
did
> was to reduce the spark advance, or so we used to call the procedure in
the
> lo tech days. There is a slight loss of performance but there also is a
loss
> of about 1mpg in gas consumption. Maybe one of your updates involved this
> kind of action??
> Going to synthetic motor oil could hardly be a cause. Back when I
> changed over to Mobil One I began a consistent 1-2mpg increase in economy.
>
> Paul Sahlin

I never thought the synthetis did but I am at wits end here and since the
epa mileage it an average you cannot claim it under lemon law. This is even
when you can rpove that you got better mileage until and event happened.

Jeff Durling
'01 4x2 QC SLT+ 4.7