Re: Poor Mileage

From: Jon N. Benignus (blkwidow1@primary.net)
Date: Sat Aug 10 2002 - 15:23:13 EDT

> The funny hting is when I pulled
> the plugs after 20k they were running real hot to the point that the
> electrodes were starting to burn off and showing signs of blistering.

You just found your problem. The engine is lean. You said in your first post
the pcv hose is loose. That causes a vacuum leak, which sucks air into the
intake tract, leaning the mixture. Fix the hose, I'll bet that solves a lot
of it.
Synthetic oil will not cause any problems. The oil companies even say if you
need to add oil and synthetic is not available, any good quality oil is
okay.
If your plugs are running that hot, you are way lean, and risk burning a
piston.

HTH
Jon
STL MO