RE: Poor Mileage

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@cox.net)
Date: Sat Aug 10 2002 - 15:59:24 EDT

<snip> I did find when I changed my spark plugs that the
tube that runs from the PCV valve to the rear of the intake behind the
throttle body was not attached back there. I put it back on but it fits
so loose that it comes back off if you just touch it. <snip>

<snip> The funny thing is when I pulled
the plugs after 20k they were running real hot to the point that the
electrodes were starting to burn off and showing signs of blistering. <snip>

If the hose is that loose or has fallen off, that would be considered a huge
vacuum leak. That would cause your second condition because of a lean, lean
burn. Doing that to the plugs would drain your power, cause you to ping
excessively, thereby causing your gas mileage problems. Your gas mileage,
however, is the least of your problems. If you don't get it fixed you could
end up with piston problems from the heat, and the detonation. That
detonation, which is the ignition of the fuel before the right time is like
a little guy with a sledge hammer hammering the top of your piston, perhaps
on its upward movement. You have to get the hose fixed. Make sure you
replace it with a fuel-capable hose otherwise it'll rot and fall off again.
I don't know if you have a modified intake or not, but on 5.9's with a K&N
FIPK, the PCV hose gets stretched really tight and it's better to just go
out and buy a new, longer one, rather than wait till the problem arises.
You can get fuel hoses from any auto parts store. Good luck!

Ron
00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD