Re: Counting my pennys for my next mod....

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Aug 18 2002 - 16:28:53 EDT

At 02:23 PM 8/18/02 -0500, you wrote:
>In todays PepBoys add they have Red line Water Wetter
>(12oz) for $4.88. Is this the stuff that DML recomends now
>a days and if so would is 1 or 2 bottle needed for the 17Qt
>system of the 4.7L?

That's a great price.

I don't know if it's DML recommended but I've used it for
4 years and found it works. Add 1 bottle to your rad
fluid. For cooler temps., put more water into the water/
antifreeze coolant mix. For street use, a 50-50 mix
is typical. For street/strip use, a 60-40 or 70-30 (high
on the h2o side). For straight race applics., water only.

At the beginning of the track season, I change the tstats
and empty the coolant mix in the rad only, put in a bottle
of water wetter and add h2o to fill the rad. Doing it this
way, I rarely run above 180F on the track even on the
hottest days.

Come time for winter, I swap tstats again, empty the mix
in the rad and add a stronger antifreeze - water mix to bring
the overall mix back close to 50-50. I didn't do this one winter
and, in the following winter (abnormally cold ... dropped to
0 -10 F frequently and below), I noticed that I began to get
ice crystals forming in the mix. Promptly got the mix back
to its 50-50 mix:-) HTH.

Bob