RE: No modified exhaust in NJ

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@directvinternet.com)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 17:35:45 EDT

I've been reading all of this and decided to make a few remarks as well.
I don't know the SEMA legislation stuff too well so I cannot claim to be
an expert on it. So, my thinking is instead of contacting SEMA right off
and going at them full steam I would contact Gibson first. My
understanding, with a few exceptions, is most aftermarket exhaust
systems are DOT approved. This means they meet emissions requirements
and therefore fully satisfy the government, and hopefully California. If
this is the case they should be able to provide the DOT information for
the exhaust system. I would most likely assume that if you show the DOT
certification that they would probably back off. If not, see a
supervisor about it. If it still doesn't work then I would call the
state about it. I would think that as long as you are courteous and
polite in the way you handle it you should be ok. If this doesn't work
then, yes, I would go to SEMA about it and see what they say and
possibly what they can do.

Jeff Durling
Systems Administrator
(954) 741-9742