Re: '93 Magnum Longevity

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 13:04:57 EDT

pbweb@mindspring.com wrote:

: I'm looking at some '90-'93 Dakotas right now, to use as an ocassional use
: vehicle with various size loads (everything from a couple bags of mulch to a
: full sized car on a trailer). I'm not looking to pound this car into the
: ground, but want something that's going to be fairly reliable. With that
: being said, I'm bouncing between the V6 and the V8. The v6 seems to have a
: history of longevity, how about the V8 Magnum (particularly a 93 model)?

: Some of the V8's i'm running into have high mileage - 140-160k miles. I'm
: seeing some v6s with 105k and also rebuilt ones in the 130k mileage range.

: Is there anything else to "Watch out for"? They seem to be running well...but
: I'd rather not fall into a black hole of auto repair after driving it a couple
: thousand miles..:)

  As far as longevity goes, I would have to cast my lot in with the
V8 Magnum. Even when you consider a vehicle that hasn't been worked
hard, two identical trucks, one with a V6, another with a V8, for all
practical purposes weigh the same, but the V6 must work much harder
to move the truck around. IMHO, that translates to better longevity
for the V8 motor. (Assuming it hasn't been abused of course. Service
history is an important factor.)

  The V8 will also handle any tasks you want to do (towing, etc.) with
more ease than the V6 which translates directly to higher safety, and
for all practical purposes, the gas mileage is the same.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'