RE: Gary Pinkley's 1997 Dakota Modifications

From: BARRY OLIVER (DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 13:36:51 EDT

forgive me if I missed, I just re-subscribed after a year......
Have you (anyone) posted any more details of these swaps (particularly the brakes) on any website? I am interested in stopping my truck better (who isn't) and definitely dumping those dirty stock pads. I have been looking at a powerslot/EBC combination but I haven't met anyone yet that has tried them...

                              -Barry
MCP, A+, Network+, Server+

Contact Info:
=================
217-899-6105 Cell
barry.oliver@novanis.com
Username: barrysuperhawk
on AIM, Yahoo, MSN and AT&T Instant Messenging clients
=================

Efficiency is doing things right.
Effectiveness is doing the right things.
Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking.

>>> gpinkley@hotchkis.net 08/26/02 12:10PM >>>

To clear up a little reasoning why the 6-speed was chosen for this project.

a) the Viper box is a high torque box, and -should- be able to take
horsepower and shift really quickly (provided I get the bugs worked out)

b) The Viper box has a very nice gear ratio spread, it drops about 1000RPM
per shift, perfect for keeping the motor in it's powerband. One the
upshift, you won't drop out of the powerband of the motor. I have that
problem with all the dodge 5 speed boxes between 2nd and 3rd gears. On the
downshift, you only have to blip the throttle slightly to RPM match for a
good, quick downshift.

c) The Viper box has a double over drive, with the 6th gear being a 0.5
ratio (i.e. the engine turns slower than the drive shaft). This allows you
to use an absurd rear end ratio, like a 4.56:1. This results in a nice
launch, similar to the 5-speed launches AND good driveability. I've
analyzed the powerbands and with this combination, you get the launch, and
at 80 MPH, your truck STILL drives down the freeway at ~2200RPM with
standard R/T tires. So, you can still have nice drivability and gas
mileage.

d) I built this truck to drive. I rarely go to the dragstrip and flog it.
For me, it's not that fun. I like to head up into our local mountains for a
nice drive, so controlling my own shifting is what it's all about. This
trans allows me to do that nicely. I have been through a total of 4 stock
Dodge transmissions, and they never have, shifted that nicely, nor
precisely.

On the Brakes: I haven't found anything that just replaces the stock parts
that works very well, for any length of time. To stop a vehicle better, you
need more swept area and more pressure applied to the rotor. The Viper
rotor is a ~13" diameter rotor and a 4 piston brembo caliper. I put on the
quad cab master cylinder and an Baer adjustable rear brake bias valve. This
combination, when installed on the quad cab, stopped it 1 FOOT less than a
viper. On my RC truck, your eyeballs almost pop out of your head. With a
nice set of open design, large diamter wheels, like my Fikse's, the viper
rotor and caliper look very nice.

Hope this helps,
-Gary Pinkley