Re: Rear suspension problems

From: Tubamirbls@aol.com
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 23:25:04 EDT

Hi Adam
     Thanks for the blow-by-blow. Sorry the result so far is a no fix. I'm
going in tomorrow morning for a front suspension matter. I discovered when
rotating tires a hole big enough to stick my index finger in on the rubber
seal of the right front upper ball jt. Grease has leaked out and dirt has
gotten in. So tomorrow I go 2 out of 3 falls with the svs writer as to
whether this is a "product defect" or not. If it is my Chrysler extended
warranty covers it less the first $100 which is my deductible. Because of
the design it is not possible anymore to just replace the ball jt and its
(new) seal. The entire upper A-arm has to be replaced. I think that's a bad
job of engineering design. I also would much prefer a serviceable ball jt
with a zerk fitting instead of all this sealed nonesense which has a
propensity to come from the suppliers of these parts insuficently lubed for
"life." I have 45k mi now and an extended Chrysler warranty for 5yrs or 75k
mi.
     Your rear noise still has to come within one of the several possible
causes I mentioned in my earlier reply. There just isn't anything else back
there to speak up when going over speed bumps or any other pavement
irregularity.
     Keep on them like flypaper. If the new ones don't do it (and you've
already done that test), and yours didn't do it before, then you certainly
have a strong position to demand they find the cause and get it back to the
way it was. There can be a defective spring even though you say they just
replaced them. New doesn't always ensure perfect. Since they now admit not
replacing the shocks then those should be tested which as I said before is
easy, just detach the bottom bolt, drive over the test bump and listen.

Paul Sahlin