Wheel Bearing, Concrete, and GVWR (long follow up post)

From: Granpa Silver89 (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 15:02:40 EDT

As I stated earlier - I went up to Wisc for 10 days with my family... we
had the 4x4 Dak and the *mumble*02fordexplorer4x4*mumble*.

Well my engine sounds like a tin can full of rusted bolts ratteling...
my transmission makes a buzzing (I suspect the torque conv!) And my
tires are still iffy. (its sad and pathetic... I know)...

After having inflicted "R/T award" winning damage to my own truck...
(the rear brake shoe/front wheel studs/front brake caliper situation) I
was not feeling very lucky heading out on the road.

ALL TOGETHER NOW! Can we say "wheel bearing"?

The drivers side bearing failed on me 2 days after we got up there. I
had been off roading the day before (GIVE'ER!!) heheh and I thought
the grinding sound I heard was a branch or a twig rubbing somewhere up
under the truck. After looking the truck over and over and over I
realized something wasn't right. I took it into a shop that was
recommended by someone I know and trust. $400 in repairs. Which
included another wheel alignment. I threw that in for the hell of it in
the hopes I might get my wheels aligned right.

They had to replace the entire wheel bearing/hub assembly. Parts were
about $250. Does that sound right to anyone? I wasn't sure.

I'm glad we did have the Ford with though - I would have been stranded
if it wasn't there. I was without the Dodge for about 4 days. (had to
wait for the parts and the guy was backed up)

Was an unexpected cost and I had to have said realitive bail me out on
this one. (be good to your family!!)

I took the Dak with deliberatly to do some hauling and work with it.
Part of the task was to haul out some broken concrete. (this was after
the bearing was replaced) I loaded up the truck bed - it didn't look
like it was sagging - the bed was about half full. With the majority of
the pile over the rear axle. I took it to a dump to dispose of. I got
on the scale - was weighed - drove off - unloaded the rubble - was
reweighed.. and went into the office.

"Hey what did you bring in here on that truck anyway?"

"Concrete"

"Well that explains it!"

I weighed in at approx 7260 lb and weighed out at 4220 after unloading
the rubble.

A difference of 3040 LBS!? A Ton and a half?? I was floored. My GVWR is
about 5700 Lbs. I could feel she was heavy and was sluggish on the drive
there - but I had no idea it was that loaded down. I thought maybe I
had 1000-1200 lbs. The concrete pile had been out in the rain and was
pretty soggy - could the water had added the extra weight? I am trying
to guess as to how much was in the bed. I took photos and once they are
developed you can see just how much was in there.

I'm wondering if they goofed around with the scale readings to get a
higher pay off? Cost $122 at $.04 per lb.

Besides the concrete rubble, the truck had in it: myself (I'm about 200
lbs), full tank of gas (about 22 gal), spare tire, my bed mounted tool
box with assorted crap in it, and a shovel. I swear I didn't see any
sagging. It looked level.

I would have thought 4220 lbs for a V6 Gen I 4x4 was a lot of curb
weight. I had always thought my Dak was lighter than that. I'm
thinking of having it weighed at another station for comparison.

Thoughts on all of this, anyone?

  Oh yeah - almost forgot - I backed into a couple trees LOL. Kinda have
a curved bumper now. I know trees arn't a lamp post - but in my book
its good nuff.

"Hey Ray - guess what Granpa did!" heheh

--

"Hey Ray! Granpa done gone'n hit another light pole!"

Granpa - (Silver89)

1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow

DML Profile URL: http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/