8 3/4 Rear End

From: B1LLYW@aol.com
Date: Sun Sep 01 2002 - 20:13:34 EDT

You may remember that I mentioned finding a 95 Dakota, 2wd, 318, 5 speed for
my Dad. Well, soon it's going to be mine. :) Dad made me an offer I
couldn't refuse. The 408 I had in my Ram (the one I lost with an engine
fire) appears to be rebuildable so I'm thinking of putting it in the 95 Dak.

One are of concern is the 8.25 rear end. I don't think it was intended to
take the kind of abuse it will get from the 408. I have heard that 8 3/4
rear end swaps are pretty easy into a Gen II. Some people say look for an
a-body rear, others a b-body rear, still others an e-body rear.

Has anyone out in DML land actually done this? If so, where did you get the
8 3/4 out of and what was involved in making the swap?

Bill White - http://www.moparforme.com

'02 Dakota QC 4x4, SLT +, 4.7, 5 spd, 3.92's, a few toys
'80 Ram D150, 4x2, 400, 727, 3.55 9.25 Sure Grip