Re: 8 3/4 Rear End

From: scsilverdak (scsilverdak@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 01 2002 - 22:19:50 EDT

Bill-
      You have (2) choices, (1) rebuild and fortify the
8 1/4 rearend using parts from vendors such as RANDY'S ring and pinion,(2)
go thru the expense of having a 8 3/4 from a B-body (68-71) with a 489#
carrier narrowed and set up to fit the Dakota.
This will eliminate the rear ABS on the Dakota and
pop the ABS light. A transmission shop that also does differential work
should be able to correctly fit a 8-3/4 by narrowing it and welding in the
spring perches with the proper pinion angle while centering the rearend
properly to line it up with the driveshaft.
MOSER'S should be able to supply a set of axles for the newly narrowed
rearend. This will give you the option to add rear disc brakes and install a
new driveshaft to take the added power and torque.
seek out a transmission shop that also specializes in high performance work,
they usually have the contacts needed to do the job right as far as welding
and sources for the proper bearings and axles.

Ron- '01 Dakota Sport 3.9 Supercharged
website: www.scsilverdak.com
e-mail: scsilverdak@hotmail.com