swapping a 5.2 for a 4.7 or 4.7HO

From: Carter, Brian (brian.carter@texian.org)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 00:52:01 EDT

This isn't directly a Dakota, but the engines are the same.

I have a '94 Grand Cherokee at over 134K miles. It is starting to burn a
little oil. I need to do a compression check to see if I can get by with
a valve job, or if I need to completely overhaul it. Anyway, I was
thinking about just swapping it for a 4.7 like I have in my Dakota.

The 4.7 has been an awesome engine for me (71K in less than two years!).
I love it. I could even look for a 4.7HO from some junked Jeep GC.

Does anyone know of anybody who tried this or any insight into how
difficult this might be compared to a rebuild?

The GC is real comfortable and I would like to keep it around for
several years for longer trips and just to keep miles off my Dak.
Obviously, for long trips, I want it to be reliable.

Thanks,
BTC