Engine/HO Cams Help/Questions

From: William H. Hiatt III (william@hiatt.net)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 01:00:25 EDT

With the help of Ed Halterman and Jerry we managed to install the cams in
our 4.7's this weekend. Whoever said it is a two hour job can eat me.......

The cams went in good, and it's running smooth, but I do have the following
questions:

1) If I just step on the gas (just punch it a little) I'll get a
rattle/clanking type sound coming from the engine. My father said it's not
pinging/valve clatter, but due to the larger lift and longer duration, it's
just some valve spring noise I'm hearing, which wouldn't hurt anything.

2) Under WOT or a hard acceleration, at around 4000-4500RPM I get a little
"pop" (Which my father says sounds like a misfire). What could be causing
this?

I have a custom flash on the PCM (Timing is at 29 degress) and Autolite
5224's. Should i pull and clean/regap the plugs to help with the misfire?
What about the valve spring noise? I was originally thinking we might've
accidentally moved one of the cam sprokets over a tooth during the install,
but that means that bank would be off on the timing considerably, and the
engine wouldn't be running right..

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
william