Re: Engine/HO Cams Help/Questions

From: William H. Hiatt III (william@hiatt.net)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 13:23:55 EDT

On the PCM flash, I had the following done:

1) Increase base timing to 29 degrees (it was at 23 before)
2) Lock out A/C Compressor on WOT
3) Bump up the rev limiter to 6500RPM
4) Remove the speed limiter

On the cams, if we're off one tooth, why would it run so well then? I swear
it's the same as it was before, because when Ed & I put them in, I swore we
DIDN'T move the sprockets from the chain. I do remember on both Ed's and
mine that while tightening the sprockets to the cams, the chains DID move,
but both moved together. We had the wedge inserted, could this have caused
problems with the tensioner, causing the need for the base mechanical timing
on the cams to be reset? If it's off a tooth on the chain, could that be
causing the misfire at 4500RPM? It's just one misfire, but it happens every
time.

I've driven about 400 miles on the cams how they are now, and while just
cruising on the freeway, you don't have the noise that I'm describing. I'm
taking it to the dealer tomorrow (Ouch :(!). I'm just going to write this
off as a bad experience, and something happened that I don't know while
installing those cams.

I do remember though on my passenger side head, when putting the new cam in,
at no load, it didn't sit perfectly flush on the head. There was still some
slight play in it (From cylinder 2 to cylinder 8, you could kind of "rock"
it front to back). The old cam did that as well. Is that ok?

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks
william