Re: Engine Noise & Pics

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 14:25:35 EDT

<snip> This is a rebuilt engine with approx 7000 miles on it. My 1989 2wd
with 98K miles starts better, runs better, SOUNDS better, and is on its
original timing chain with no problems!

That engine only has 7000 miles on it? When did it start making those
noises? I'd be in the mechanics shop yesterday raising 7 different kinds of
he## if that was my truck. I've rebuilt a few engines and I've never had
one make noises like that even after 10 times that amount of mileage, and
lots of abuse. The only engine I've ever heard that was even close to that
belonged to a neighbor of mine a few years ago. She had bought a brand new
Nissan Sentra, drove it for 60,000 miles and then asked me one day to look
at it cause it was making strange noises. I looked at it, checked the oil
which looked like tar, and ashed her when was the last time she changed the
oil. She looked at me with a puzzled expression on her face and said "you
mean I have to change it?" God's honest truth, she swore she had never had
the oil changed in that car and ran it for 60K miles. It sounded almost
like your truck sounds now. I forget what she did with the car though.

Ray Irons
Dover, DE