Dak wont't start / run / stalls

From: DML (DML@HenryWeb.net)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 13:52:53 EDT

This is gonig to be longer than I want, but I may as well include the
details first.

My Dakota: 94 CC 4x4 318 5spd on BFG 33" MT

I think I've managed to put around 100 miles on my Dak in the last year.
Last december when it was time to move it out of the garrage it didn't
start. Tons of power to crank, but no spark. Went through all of the
diagnostics in the service manual and concluded that there wasn't any spark.
Did try swapping in a new coil, but that didn't do anything either. It was
too damm cold in here in MI to look at it and I had a broken knee at the
time so it was towed off to Mr. Mechanic and after finding a couple bad
spots on the wires between the computer and coil was deemed fixed. On the
way home (had to have the neighbor drive as a clutch and a cast on the left
knee don't mix too well) it stalled out and died again. Got towed back.
This time they found a corroded splice by the power distribution center and
declared it fixed again.

After this it did finally make it back home. I did drive it on one trip and
then took it to work once it would randomly stall out but at least I did
manage to get it to restart most of the way home. I think I started it
about 30 times on a 1 hour ride. Good thing it's a stick as you coast much
better while working on a restart. It still has the same sypmtoms of not
restarting. My current plan this weekend is unwrapping the entire wiring
harness and examining every splice and ground I can find.

I run Magnecor wires and have a brass cap & rotor on it so I think that is
fine. I do have a scan tool for it and I can't seem to find any problems
with it. No trouble codes or other problems. I also got a spare computer
from a junkyard and that doesn't seem to change anything. I've tried to
find a replacement harness, but they are discontinued and I havn't found any
in my junkyard searches. If anyone has any good ideas about things to check
it would be great. I've debated about the infamous fuel pump, but whenever
I've checked there was fuel pressure at the test port on the rail.

David Henry