Re: Back With Avengance

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 02:21:27 EDT

"Gary Hedlin" <ghedlin@theramp.net> wrote:

: hmm... never thought about that.

: would that require removing the heads?

   No, you can replace the valve springs with the heads still on;
all you need is a valve spring compressor (Autozone will loan you
one for free, or you can buy it for about $15) and a compression
tester which uses an air compressor quick-disconnect for the
gauge. Disconnect the gauge from the hose, and use a tire valve
stem remover to remove the schraeder valve. Screw the hose
into the spark plug hole for the cylinder you're replacing the
springs on, connect the hose up to an air compressor - that will
pressurize the cylinder and hold the valves against the head.
Compress the valve spring with the valve spring compressor, and
move it down towards the head. You may need to tap the compressor
with a hammer to break the spring loose. You just need to compress
it enough to be able to remove the retainers at the top of the valve
stem. (I have had good success with using a magnetic pick-up
tool to "suck" the retainers off the valve stem, which has the
side benefit of making it impossible for you to drop a retainer
and lose it.) Then, you can pull the spring off the valve and
disconnect the air hose to relieve the pressure in the cylinder.
Before I do that, I like to put one of those plastic clamps
on the valve stem just to be certain it won't drop down into
the cylinder. (If that happens, you will probably have to remove
the head because the chances of fishing it back up into the head
are basically slim to none - especially if it is a stainless
valve which you won't be able to guide with a magnet...)

 Be sure to wear eye protection when using the valve spring
compressor!

  Note: I've never done this on a Magnum engine - my experience
was with a big block Chrysler, but the procedure should be the same.
I documented the procedure on my home page, if you're interested,
check out http://jonsteiger.com/barracuda and click on "Project
Horsepower". Photos 046-049 detail how to use an "on the engine"
style valve spring compressor, although I am using it on a head on a
bench. Photos 057-060 show doing it on the engine with an air
compressor as I described above. Photo 056 shows what I meant
about using a plastic clamp to prevent the valves from dropping
down into the engine.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'