93 dak rearend noise

From: Shadetreenut (shadetreenut@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 02:26:29 EDT

I have a 1993 dakota with a 8 1/4 3.55 geared rearend and it makes a
clank/clunk noise whenever I am driving down the road and get back on the
gas after letting off for a second. It does not matter what speed I am going
or how cold or hot it still does it. I have already replaced all of the
u-joints and pulled the cover off and checked the carrier bearings and
everything seems to be tight. It seems like I read somewhere that the axle
splines wear out on these trucks but I do not remember where that was
located. ANY ideas would be appreciated. Thanks