RE: RE: RE: brake problems (again)...need help!!!

From: Ray (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 00:39:53 EDT

Not just the older Daks, Tim. Our '97 Stratus, '00 Grand Cherokee and '02
Stratus R/T have the same configuration as my '92 Dak. Can't say for sure
about newer Daks but seems odd they would do something unique for them. Oh,
I forgot we're talking about Dodge.:-)

If yours is supposed to have them and doesn't, then the only things
supporting the caliper are the two guide pins in rubber bushings. The
caliper will move around where it shouldn't, sometimes putting it in a bind
and possibly cracking the pads. At the very least they would flop around
enough to make the noise you're describing. (that's why the spring is also
called "anti-rattle") :-) Who did the last brake job before your problems
began?

> not sure about the bearing as well. I have given it some
> though but once again. it only happens when the breaks get hot. for
> whatever reason the brakes are getting extremely hot under normal and
> sometimes even very easy braking. <snip>
> Tim Althoff

The reason I asked about wheel bearing adjustment is if they're too tight
the pads may stay in too close contact with the rotor and get too hot. If
the bearings are too loose they can cause the pads to move in and out too
much, possibly causing noise.

Hope this helps. Be sure to let us know what you find out.

Ray