Vent - OT - Symantec - Long

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@cox.net)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 21:35:06 EDT

Okay, before I start, I haven't vented for a long, long time. Some things
just tend to pi$$ you off more than others...and this is OT to boot. Now,
this thread is just to let you all know how some corporations flim-flam you.
I don't want this thing to go on forever, just read it for your edification,
and the next time you think about doing business with them, think twice. I
have just sent this complaint to the Better Business Bureau and
www.complaints.com . Here is what I wrote:

Symantec sells antivirus software. This includes a year's subscription for
regularly scheduled updates. My old subscription was to expire on
11/16/2002. During one of the updates, Symantec warned me of impending
expiration and suggested I update the subscription. The advertisement
alluded to the fact that my base product was three years old and gave me an
upgrade price that was "only $5 more" than the subscription to the old
product. Only after purchasing and downloading the new product did Symantec
send an online message indicating the new expiration date of 9/25/2003. This
basically meant that I would lose two months of service because I purchased
the new product. I sent in a complaint only to be told that new products
have nothing to do with old products. The new product's date of service
starts upon installation and the subscription expires one year from that
date. Had they told me that before the purchase I never would have bought it
or I would have, at the very least, waited until the expiration date. The
old one worked fine for the past three years and was updated regularly. Not
only that, but the installer software for the new product automatically
erased the old product. I don't know what you folks think but I think it's a
flim-flam. They call it a new product. I call it the same old product with a
new year on it. My old product was called Norton AntiVirus 2000 and the new
one is called Norton AntiVirus 2003. One doesn't do any more than the other.

You would think that any corporation would be honest enough to warn their
customers rather than try to take advantage of them. After this one runs
out or a resolution has been reached I believe I'm heading to McAfee. I'm
not putting up with this again.

Ron
00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD