Re: Vent - OT - Symantec - Long

From: andy levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 22:08:23 EDT

I agree it's slimy but I can see where it's coming from. They don't
treat it as an "extension" but rather a *new* subscription. I didn't
say that it's right - only that I can see where they came up with it.

I have to use McAfee at work and frankly I'm not that impressed with it.
  Look at all the AV options out there.

"You would think that any corporation would be honest enough to warn
their customers rather than try to take advantage of them."

Go read all the EULAs (End User License Agreements) to your software and
try to say that again with a straight face. Commercial software vendors
are very slick and basically say "we don't guarantee this product even
works. If it does work, but hoses your system in the process, we don't
care and we aren't responsible." Furthermore, they don't sell you
anything but the priviledge of using the software. At any time if the
vendor feels like it they can say "you can no longer run this program."
   Even worse, they can change the terms of the agreement after you've
agreed to it! Hell, Microsoft *changes* the EULA when they ship you a
service pack! The latest update to Windows Media Player and Windows
2000 SP3 carry large changes to the EULA that came with the original
product; if you don't want to agree to it, tough - you'll just have to
go without the patch.