Re: More Diesel Stuff...attn. Jon, Ray, and Jeff

From: Pukeloser@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 21:10:10 EDT

You gota be careful when rating the miles you get out of a diesel. Diesel
engine progrressively lose power and torque as they age much worse than a gas
engine. They dont handle stop and start conditions as well either. The cost
of oil changes on a diesel is way higher than on gas. And starting this
October the government is placing all sorts of new emisions regulations on
diesels that are going to cause probs for the next few years at least, just
remember how shitty gas engines were when they started emmisions regulation
back in 1974. Hell, it took them 20 years to get the gas design to a reliable
level. Also, check into the cost of rebuilding a diesel (or for that matter
getting performance parts). My uncle Tony is Vice president of domestic
engineering at Mack diesel so believe me I know the diesel engine has major
potential and can get great mileage (depending), but a gas engine that is
not abused and is properly maintained can easily get 300k (not including
magnum V-6 timing chains).

John S