RE: theoretical diesel question

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@directvinternet.com)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 15:55:57 EDT

I just typed this up as an answer with my thoughts and I'm starting to
sound like a diesel activist.....lol

We'll that is a very good question. I would have to have to say I would
believe it would be either an inline 5 or six cyl. depending on
displacement. A turbo is a must since, I have stated before, that
diesels don't really burn up turbos and with these engines they usually
last just as long as the engine itself. I have nothing against Cummins
but due to the type of use (i.e. Trailer towing, but also trips and
basic transportation) I believe that the noise issue is a must. This
also goes for the performance issue. I do feel that the Cummins is a
good performer especially if you play with it a little but the noise is
too much for the average persons domesticated use. Note: I said average
so please don't get offended but I'm talking about a vehicle that could
be parked in front of an apartment complex without complaints. I feel
that the larger trucks with diesels are there to fill a niche such as
heavy towing, etc. so general use would need to be addressed for the
smaller engine.

I myself would like to see Dodge use the advantage they have with
Daimler being a parent company. Mercedes makes a great diesel platform
right now that is going to come to the US next year in the e-class.
Design a little more beefier engine off of this platform and you have
the makes for an everyday use, god towing, fuel efficient, and
environmentally friendly engine. If they did that in a mid-size platform
like the Dakota they would have a potent truck with a sales advantage
over the competition. I think there would be even more acceptance with
this size truck mated to a diesel with the aforementioned attributes
than even the people who are starting to have an interest with cars with
a diesel. I believe that this could help to finally get rid of the
apprehension that we in this country have for diesel engines. Finally I
would love to get a dak again with diesel. Talk about kick butt.

A little side note: Obviously Daimler is looking at the smaller truck
with a diesel since they are considering shipping the Jeep Liberty to
this country with the highly regarded diesel engine they offer in it in
Europe. They are saying it's only for fleet sales but I think that there
would be enough people bugging them to purchase that this would change.

Jeff Durling
Systems Administrator
(954) 741-9742
jdurling@wdci-telecom.com